Wednesday, October 22, 2008

DID YOU KNOW?

Because on SOME days, I'm pretty much a useless treasure of mindless facts -- all from those growing up days of doing crossword puzzles and word games for hours on end -- and reading World Almanacs front to back, memorizing the 50 states in order from biggest to smallest, alphabetically, when the entered the Union and by population (much of which I still know) - and World Almanacs that my mother still buys for me at Christmas 40 years later (Thanks, Mom!) ... because of all THAT, today is a throwback to those times for me -- and because you're reading my blog -- for you as well.

Did you know ...
* Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing?

* The slogan on New Hampshire license plates is 'Live Free or Die' and are manufactured by prisoners in the state prison at Concord?

* David Prowse was the guy in the Darth Vader suit in "Star Wars." He spoke all of Vader's lines, and didn't know he was going to be dubbed over by James Earl Jones until he saw the screening of the movie himself?

* There are only thirteen blimps in the world. Nine of the thirteen blimps are in the United States. The largest existing blimp is the Fuji Film blimp?

* The white part of your fingernail is called the lunula?

* Madrid is the only European capital city not situated on a river?

* The Boston University Bridge is the only place in the world where a boat can sail under a train driving under a car driving under an airplane?

* Emus cannot walk backwards?

* Shakespeare was 46 when the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalm 46, the 46th word from the first word is 'SHAKE,' and the 46th word from the last word is 'SPEAR?'

* The top layer of a wedding cake, known as the groom's cake, traditionally is a fruit cake. That way, it will save until the first anniversary? (And way beyond that, I'm just guessing.)

* Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten?

* The 1957 Milwaukee Braves were the first baseball team to win the World Series after being relocated?

I find that stuff FASCINATING. Sorry.

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what you're saying is you are a genius and we have a lot more to learn. I knew about 50% of what you said. Someday when I see you I want you to recite all the states for me largest to smallest :).
Appreciate you.
God Bless
donna smith

Darren said...

this is my kind of post.

Anonymous said...

Too bad you can't go on Jeopardy with Alex Trebek. You would make a mint!