Friday, September 5, 2008

POCKET CHANGE


"A Day in the Life" -- Today I was at the gym working out and when I was through, as is my 'sometime' custom, I drove to McDonald's to get two double cheeseburgers and a drink. After all, when you've worked out hard for 2 hours, you need to get some energy back into your body. And what could be better for that than four patties of greasy protein and two slices of yellow processed dairy sandwiched between four buns of white carbohydrate -- and some turquoise blue 'as-of-yet-unidentified' beverage?

So I have this little 'thing' I do of putting any and all change I get during the day into a little container in my car - for tolls, dry cleaning, snacks, etc. It's pretty handy and I feel like I'm getting away with something by not pulling out my paper money when I have to buy stuff.

So I went in to McDonalds with my container of pocket change to place my to-go order. Don't ask my WHY I went in to order to-go. I just did. I got my order, dispensed the blue liquid into my cup and walked out to my car.

As I was backing out, I looked over my shoulder to make sure the coast was clear to put her in 'Drive,' and there was a MAN standing right beside my window. It scared me to death. He had been in the line ordering behind me - and he held in his hands my trusty pocket change container. I opened my window to say 'thanks.' He didn't say much to me - just kind of extended his arms to give me the container - but I was so grateful he had done such a nice thing. It restored my faith in humanity and reminded me to keep my own integrity and honesty far above the water line.

So, wherever you are right now, sir -- THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. Sometime in the future, I owe you two double cheeseburgers and a cup of blue liquid.

And be blessed.

No comments: