Tuesday, September 30, 2008

PALM SPRINGS

PLEASE VOTE IN THE POLL AT LEFT, BASED ON THE SEPTEMBER 24th BLOG. THANK YOU.

I am in Palm Springs for three days – at the Assemblies of God Trust Summit. The purpose is to discuss the future of the Assemblies of God in terms of how we deal with church planting, resourcing young missionaries who want to get into the field but can’t because of rising school debt that must first be paid off, and to talk about the future direction and vision of our denomination.

At our banquet last night, here was some of the information that was shared by the General Superintendant and Assistant Superintendant of the A/G (George Wood and Alton Garrison, respectively) ... I respect these men deeply for their intense desire to keep the church relevant and moving forward, particularly at the advanced ages that each of these gentleman are --

The life cycle of any organization will atrophy unless new and fresh vision is applied.

In a poll taken, 95% of Christ-followers believed the purpose of the church was for their personal care.

34% of the A/G in the United States is under 25 years of age.

2/3 of evangelical young people will no longer be walking with God three years after high school graduation. However, of those attending one of the A/G Christian Bible Colleges and Universities, 95% will retain their faith.

A video was shown promoting one of the trust funds that have been set up - called the "NEXT GENERATION" fund -- for those called to ministry and missions but who are hindered because of rising debt load, hampering and delaying they're entry into the field to which God has called them. Our very own KFA-ers Rachel King and Steve Campbell are the poster-children for this new ministry and were featured on the video. Both just graduated from Central Bible College in Springfield, Missouri and both have the call of God on their lives to be missionaries. (I was privileged to perform their marraige ceremony on the beach at Lake Michigan just a month ago.) They are the initial recipients of this wonderful new Next Generation Trust fund. Congratulations to you guys.

Tonight at the gathering, Rick Warren is scheduled to speak. I'll talk to you about that tomorrow morning.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"2/3 of evangelical young people will no longer be walking with God three years after high school graduation."

That is something that I have thought a lot about. Of course, the easiest answers are to point to colleges, lack of Christian example in the house, etc.

In my own life, I was a church brat. Always at church, always involved, and well known and "respected". Not boasting...just painting the picture. By the time I was 18, I wanted nothing to do with the church. What happened? I could write a long discourse on the topic. Ultimately, I think that I felt the church was no longer relevant for me (what I felt at the time), and that as a child and youth my faith was grounded in programs, forced disciplines, and teachings. But my Christlike life was never lived out. I could recite how Christ lived, but did not love like he did. Honestly, church was all for me (and the other kids/youth in the church), but I was never led in the actions of serving others and loving everyone like Christ did.

I often ponder what can be done different today to make it more than just "church" and social networking for our kids. How can we help them live out life so that when they obtain their freedom, they continue living for Christ?

Tough questions that deserve tough and fresh answers!

I will be curious to see what the thoughts are....

Anonymous said...

I am so curious about what the future holds for this church that I now call my home. I know that my heart is filled with hope and anticipation.

I find myself wondering about this:

-In a poll taken, 95% of Christ-followers believed the purpose of the church was for their personal care.

Is that an either-or question? I just looked at our church's mission statement again. I always thought that the church was to build up the body of believers, so that we can go out and reach a lost world. I know for myself, I NEED the church to stay strong. Most of all, I need God to help me, but I don't think I could do this without the support of the church, too. When I am around other Christians who are passionate about God's plan for them, then we encourage one another and, in turn, reach out to others.

I am so awed by people that devote their lives to missions. I have often thought that someday I would like to go on a short-term mission, but to actually make the commitment to live your life that way is amazing to me. It's hard to put into words.

The last thing that comes to mind is that I will look forward to hearing about Rick Warren. I have seen him several times on tv, but I have not read his book. I was just so struck by the fact that he gives 90% of his income. Who does that? I am very much interested in what he has to say.

One more thing...Palm Springs is a beautiful place to be this time of year. I hope you are enjoying it. :)

PK's BLOG said...

It is a balance. But the church has generally ignored reaching out -- they do it in 'event-based' kinds of ways, but not relationally the way Jesus did -- and not toward those who are UNLIKE us -- the under-resourced, the hurting in society, etc.

The church is here to build up believers, but the general trend among believers is to develop an inward focus - it happens all the time. We need to strengthen the third leg of the church big-time - outreach and evangelism.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to doing even more of that. I find that the brainstorming we did Sunday is exciting. I know that God has a plan and I know that I want to do what he has called me to do.