Monday, September 29, 2008

ONE MONTH TO LIVE - WEEK 3


PLEASE TAKE THE POLL AT LEFT - BASED ON THE SEPTEMBER 24th BLOG. THANK YOU.

Yesterday was our THIRD weekend of the ONE MONTH TO LIVE campaign at church. In order to love others the way Jesus did, He calls us to LOVE COMPLETELY -- with all our heart, soul, mind and strength - and then, to love our neighbor as ourself. This includes scaling some mountains with regard to relationships --- mountains of misunderstanding, 'me first,' and mistakes --- something we all deal with almost daily.

Then ... Jesus calls us to grab a rope of acceptance and embrace people without trying to change them (God's job) --- get relational traction by expressing loving actions (talk is cheap - 'Where's the beef?') --- and be tethered to one another by forgiveness (remind me again how much YOU'VE been forgiven and then explain to me why you have trouble forgiving your brother or sister) ... ???

It was great sharing the stage with my wonderful, gifted and beautiful wife (not in that order) -- who is my hero on many levels. She did a great job communicating alongside me. Thanks, honey.
However, I must confess to you -- as much as all of the above was awesome --- the highlight for me was the ending. There is a BIG WORLD out there who needs love too --- they need it in the form of real HELP --- resources, food, education, housing, jobs, etc.

I know we can't do everything to help right all of that, but we ought not spend a lot of time talking about what we CAN'T do. The question is: What CAN we do?

So, at the end of the service -- right there in the main auditorium, with 1,000 people sitting there --- we turned and made small groups and asked ourselves the question, "WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP OUR COMMUNITY IN REAL, DOWN-TO-EARTH WAYS?" WHAT CAN WE DO? I sensed a ton of buzz and real intense, excited conversations going on. I can't wait to read the ideas that were shared on the handout pages.

We also encouraged our congregation to eat RICE ONLY for 2, 3, 5, 7 days - up to you - just to get into the head and heart of the person in our community who goes to bed every night hungry - or for that matter who is hungry and ALSO has no bed. Happy RICE EATING, everyone. I've done it already and will probably do it again over the next couple of weeks.

As long as THIS TEAM is leading KFA, we will not be a society or special interest group or a club of any kind. We are like those first disciples --- an ordinary bunch of sinners who are just grateful they got rescued by Jesus and are enjoying the fruit of His amazing love – and we’ll not be STINGY with it.

When you and I really believe God is working behind the scenes in people 24/7 in order to prepare them for their defining moment of redemption … when you and I really believe there is a powerful God at work … THEN we more easily and gladly give our lives for others. We serve with everything inside us. We help others. We sacrifice for a world in need – to people who are seeking – to people who are hurting – to people who are hungry – to people who are alone.

That’s what the RICE CUPS will help us focus on in order to love completely. Stay tuned as the months go by to see how God would lead us to do more than just TALKING about it. We have a community to reach, friends. Let's go.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

deword said...

Yesterday was awesome. Having your wife with you was awesome.
Todays revelation (for me) from the book was that forgiveness is relieving another of a debt they cannot repay (my interp). WOW. I finally got it, duh! That's what Jesus did for me. Why have I stumbled over this for so long? Big one 4 me.
Thanks KFA & PK & JT.
God Bless.
d

Anonymous said...

I, too, am excited to see what different ideas come about. There are probably many things that never even occurred to me. It's great to have so many thoughts on how to help our community.

I started my 'rice diet' Sunday and an envelope for my savings for the collection for the food pantry, etc. I feel very blessed that I have all I need in my life to make it every day.