Tuesday, September 9, 2008

IMPOSSIBLE

In Matthew 17, there is a story where the disciples have been asked by a father to expel an evil spirit from his son – this is a spirit that drives his son to suicidal behavior. The disciples try to help, but can't. Jesus Himself intervenes and the disciples ask, ‘Why couldn’t WE drive it out?”

Jesus responds: "Because you have so little faith. If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you. (v. 20)

Don't you find that very interesting? Jesus isn’t really interested in the rearraging the location of the mountains. It is the greed, lust, arrogance, oppression, racism and poverty He wants to re-draw. He wants the disciples to move mountains of injustice and cause new rivers of compassion to flow. He wants his followers to do this IMPOSSIBLE thing - to label as unacceptable, unnatural and changeable a world where homeless children beg outside the sprawling estates of the super rich – estates where the dogs inside eat better than the humans out on the streets.

It’s astonishing really that Jesus doesn’t simply say , 'Nothing will be impossible for ME' - He says, 'Nothing will be impossible for YOU.'

This is our call to action to move mountains and re-shape spiritual and social landscapes in our community. Think about it.

And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always had this little spark inside of me that says one person can make a difference. Certain things in my life have reinforced that belief, but since I have been saved and have Jesus in my life, I really do feel that anything is possible! I think as long at I keep seeking His will, then I can and will make a difference in my world. I honestly think that we all have an obligation to reach outside of ourselves and change this world for the better. I have found that I get as much from giving of myself as I get, too.