Wednesday, September 24, 2008

BIRTHDAY

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE POLL AT LEFT AFTER READING TODAY'S BLOG. THANK YOU.

Well, I wasn't going to share this, but yesterday was my 49th birthday. It felt kind of self-serving to announce it on my own blog, but with the pic at right floating all over the internet, at the office, on Facebook and who knows where else, I thought it only fitting that I post it here as well. For the record, the hat was a 'gift' from one of the guys who was at the Milwaukee Brewers game with me last night -- and it's way BIGGER than you can tell here. Trust me. It was smuggled in without me noticing. Next thing I knew, it was on my head. It is bright purple and kind of velvety - with a band of leopard-type spots going around it. Real classy.

The picture was taken by someone formerly known as 'a friend' - on his camera/phone at the ball game. (PAUSE: The Brewers won with a homerun by Prince Fielder with two outs in the night inning - great way to go out.) Practically before I even got home from the game, it had been e-mailed via phone to another person and then posted and 'tagged' on Facebook. From there it went on to several other places. Such is the day of instant communication.

So - in honor of my 49th birthday - join me in taking the "OLDER THAN DIRT" quiz below - and then take the related poll at top left before you check out here. Thanks.

"OLDER THAN DIRT" QUIZ ... CHECK ALL THE ONES YOU REMEMBER FIRST-HAND; NOT THE ONES YOU WERE JUST TOLD ABOUT ...
Blackjack chewing gum
Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
Candy cigarettes
Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
Party lines
Newsreels before the movie
P.F. Flyers
Butch wax
Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive - 6933)
Peashooters
Howdy Doody
45 RPM records
S&H Green Stamps
Hi-fi's
Metal ice trays with lever
Mimeograph paper
Blue flashbulb
Packards
Roller skate keys
Cork popguns
Drive-ins
Studebakers
Wash tub wringers
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards

OK -- here's the grading scale ... (I scored '12')
If you remembered 0-5, you're still young
If you remembered 6-10, you are getting older
If you remembered 11-15, don't tell your age
If you remembered 16-25, you're older than dirt!

So --- fellow baby boomers -- ROCK ON.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

JCsings4Him said...

OMW, I remember ALL of them! And I am only one year older than you!!

Ahhh...time flies...and, seriously, flying is fun!

Glad you had a good day!

Anonymous said...

Pimp my church?

Sorry...that was bad...couldn't resist!

Happy belated birthday!

Anonymous said...

Lol....I was looking at the picture and it reminds me of the Red Hat Society ladies. :)~ Good thing you are a good sport and good thing you take such good pictures. Looks like you had fun!

Anonymous said...

WHAT is butch wax? Glad I'm not "up there" LOL...