Monday, September 8, 2008

BARRY MANILOW


Well, all right - this was just INEVITABLE here, wasn't it? After yesterday, I couldn’t resist. Unless you were present at second service Sunday morning with KATHY TROCCOLI, you won’t exactly understand this one -- and that'll teach ya to miss church. But it was kind of FUN, and a little SCARY, to stand on the KFA stage and sing part of Barry Manilow’s “I Write the Songs.” It has been SUGGESTED in the past that I might bear a vocal resemblance to Mr. Manilow, during his very BEST days, of course. I don’t know if I do. If you were there in second service, you can be the judge. But it was fun to ‘let down my hair a bit’ and go out on a ledge to be part of that. The whole thing was so far out of my comfort zone I cannot even TELL you – and I practically had to blow dry the armpits of my shirt when I got home yesterday afternoon.

I will confess there is a PART of me that wants to turn back the clock and wipe that from the KFA memory banks, but ALAS, it is now forever part of weekend service history. However, I WAS particularly gratified to see so many of you get into the ‘spirit’ of it by pulling out your cell phones and waving them in the dark while I was singing. You don't see THAT in church every day - and that's one of the things I LOVE about KFA.

And NOW, those of you who weren’t there yesterday for second service are saying, “What in the world!!?” But relax. We haven’t gone off the deep end. Not YET.

And be blessed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol....you are so funny! :) You sounded great! He's not one of my favorites, but your voice is very good! It was great fun! I love the enthusiasm and spontaniety of our church. I love being a part of it! I wouldn't be anywhere else, for sure!

Anonymous said...

OK...deep, dark secret about Keith. I think Barry Manilow is absolutely awesome! Wow...I can't believe I just admitted that publicly! He was one of my mom's favorite artists (along with Elvis). Along with Christian music I was privileged to hear Manilow and Elvis all the time (8-tracks are a wonderful thing). Somehow I picked up an adoration for both Manilow and Elvis.

I wish I would have seen you as Manilow! Will you be doing Copacabana any time soon?

Anonymous said...

I think your voice is brilliant! You sounded better than Barry. What an absolute treat to hear you sing that song. You voice is just one of the many GIFTS that the Lord has blessed you with. Thanks for your spontaneity. You can sing to this congregation anytime, anywhere. You are deeply loved.

Anonymous said...

So glad you jumped in and right OUT of that life restricting comfort zone!!!
Thats how we really grow, ya'know.

Much better than your voice is the fact that you entered into the moment -rather jumped off the cliff -to find that Jesus did not , in fact leave you!

I am sure you will share this experience plus lessons learned with more people. They need to hear it!!

Anonymous said...

and just think..it's also forever recorded on DVDs :o) Sorry I missed it but I know how I can see it.

Anonymous said...

It was BY FAR my favorite part of the whole Kathy Troccolli service!! You were great!!