Sunday, August 3, 2008

CELLPHONES


Are you a 'cellphone junkie?' Would you be afraid to admit you MIGHT be -- or would you be more embarrassed to say you're NOT one?

What prompts me to write this particular blog is some recent conversations with my 17-year old daughter who wears her cellphone like a 6-shooter. She whips it out like Jesse James whenever it beeps, rings, blings, buzzes, tweets or sings. She texts at about 90 words a minute - all day long.

I know it's a 21st century phenomenon that might be replaced by something that would make it obsolete within the next ten years --- and it's something I'm trying not to overreact to as a dad. Every generation has had its vice - and I'm not sure - haven't decided yet - whether this one is actually a vice or not. Feels like it is sometimes.

Even so, it prompts me to ask the following ten questions of us all - to determine whether or not we are 'cellphone junkies.' And then, having determined it, what to DO about it, if anything. So, here goes:

- Do you have more than 500 numbers in your cellphone directory?

- Do you most often answer your cellphone before the 2nd ring?

- Do you text more than 100 times a day, on average?

- Do you use your cellphone until it hurts? (Many people are now being treated for hand and wrist injuries from over-use of their cellphones)

- Have you picked up your cellphone THINKING you heard it ringing only to realize it wasn’t?
- Do you talk on your cellphone while driving?

- Do you use your cellphone anywhere, anytime ... at restaurants ... during conversations with people ... etc.?

- Do you leave your cellphone on while you sleep and keep it within arm's reach while you're in bed?

- Do you subconsciously hold your breath while you’re texting? (manic junkie symptom)

- Do you use your cellphone to perform at least ten of the functions below? (notepad - appointments - calendar - journal - map/GPS - internet - email - compass - twittering - alarm clock - instant messages - book download - camera - ipod - walkie-talkie - can opener - divining rod - magnet - thermometer - electric shaver - car jack)

If you answered at least five of these questions with a 'yes,' you may seriously be in danger of officially being a 'cellphone junkie.' So ... ARE you?

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny? Sad? I was laughing...

I live and die by my BlackBerry. My wife says I have an addiction to my beloved BB. In my defense I am on the road for business a lot (sounds like rationalization) and I use my BB for everything. Yes, I can say that I am am never without my BB and that I meet "more than one" of the criteria but will leave it at that...

keith

allisonlayne said...

i had 4 out of 5! close but no junkie here!

Unknown said...

just as we thought - we are NOT cellphone junkies! YEAH!