Thursday, August 21, 2008

BUCKET LIST

I haven't seen the movie "Bucket List" - yet - but I am focused on our upcoming ONE MONTH TO LIVE (OMTL) campaign at church where we're asking the entire congregation to read the "OMTL" book, then get in small groups for six weeks to discuss the weekend messages and book chapters - developing community together. It promises to be a deep, effective time of relationship buildling and spiritual growing.

That said, ONE MONTH TO LIVE gives you some pause about 'what if?' If I only had one month, what things would I want to do before I died.

And while that is a somewhat morose thought, I've turned it into something a bit lighter here. I have developed my own BUCKET LIST - 100 things I want to before I die. I already had something of an unofficial list, but I made it OFFICIAL - getting them down on paper. I've accomplished several of them, but a good 70% are still unrealized.

I'm not going to share ALL of them with you - only about 25 - but maybe they'll get you going / thinking. An asterisk (*) means it's something I've managed to get done already. Maybe you'll develop your own and share some of them back.

Attend an Olympics

Visit the Greek Isles - Great Wall of China - *Eiffel Tower - *Italy - Pyramids - *Himalayas - Holy Land - (several from my list combined here)

Skydive

Learn to speak a foreign language

*See the launch of the space shuttle

Bench press 225 pounds

*Ride a subway

Write a book

Ride a camel

Learn to play the guitar

*Shake the President’s hand

Learn to ballroom dance

*Sit on a jury

Go on an African safari

See my three daughters married to Christian men (2/3rds of the way there)

Ride in a hot air balloon

Experience weightlessness

Learn to juggle

*Drive the Autobahn

Scuba dive off Australia's Great Barrier Reef

Invent something

Catch a ball in the stands of a major league baseball stadium

*Bungee Jump

YOUR TURN.

And be blessed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I think you should definitely write a book. I know it is a big commitment, but you have a lot of worthwhile things to share.

As far as my list of 100 things to do before I die, here are some: I don't yet have a hundred. It willl be fun to brainstorm and think of more, though.

1. become a disciple of Jesus and an effective witness for Him.

2. travel to the Holy Land--Paris--London--Washington DC--New York--the east coast (I love seafood and esp. lobster!) I want to go back to Maui sometime...or somewhere equally warm and beautiful.

3. get a job more in keeping with my life as a Christian and using my gifts.

4. buy a condo.

5. Learn to play the keyboards

6. Learn to salsa dance

7. Take a gourmet cooking class

8. see my granddaughter graduate from college and get married.

9. I also would like to scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef. I went snorkeling in Maui and it was fabulous.

10. I also would like to sky dive at least once in my life.

11. I went up in a hot air balloon once, but it was tethered, so we didn't go anywhere. I would like to take a real flight.

12. Meet AC Green one more time and talk. I met him a few times and he was my hero for many years. I'd love to have the chance to tell him how I have changed since I have been saved and see how he likes the married life.

Well, that's it for this morning. I'll have to work on that list

PK's BLOG said...

HEY! THANKS FOR SHARING! Great start to your list!

LA Nickers said...

Gee . . . can't help you with a camel . . . . but I could probably get you on a horse.

THE MANE POINT – a haven for horse lovers

PK's BLOG said...

I need something with TWO HUMPS that I can get in between so I don't fall off. But THANKS!

Anonymous said...

I am still waiting to read the book when you finish it!