Saturday, August 23, 2008

BACKPACKS


Today was an amazing day. For most of the afternoon I was at Lincoln Park with scores of volunteers from our church - and several hundred people from the surrounding neighborhood - enjoying face painting, balloon animals, live music, children's games, free food, bouncers and even a 'prayer tent.' It rained this very gentle rain for about 10 minutes - just aggressive enough to send most running for some cover - and then it was over. The sun came out to stay.

The culmination of the afternoon was passing out over 750 backpacks stuffed with school supplies to children in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. What a wonderful experience to see young children smiling ear-to-ear as they got their backpack and opened them to find pencils, erasers, notebooks, rulers and tons of other stuff to prepare them for a great year of school.

One little boy came right up to me - he couldn't have been more than 7-years old - and he looked up at me and said, "Hey! There's SUPPLIES in here!" And I had to smile.

I'm proud of our congregation for their big hearts to bless other people in this way. It is gratifying and part of the re-training of ourselves to turn our eyes outward. Thanks to those who organized and served today. You guys ROCK!

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was pretty cool! I was there for all of the set-up, but I left about 2:00 to go spend some time with my Dad and brother. My Dad is here now for a while! :) I have missed him! They took me to the Colony House for a belated birthday dinner...I love that place!

Dale Obrochta said...

That's sounds like a very nice thing you did volunteering your time to help the kids. I commend you on your service.