Thursday, July 31, 2008

THAI GOURMET

Please be encouraged to vote in the poll at top left - referring to the late July blogs.

Today I had lunch at a local restaurant called, "Thai Gourmet." I had eaten there before but this time was different.

I went with Missionary-to-Thailand David Kniesz. He has struck up a friendship with the owners of the restaurant, particularly since the patriarch of the restaurant is originally from the very Lao village where David has most recently put up a school to teach Lao children. So there is quite a connection between the two.

They treated us like kings - serving us delicious Thai appetizers and main dishes and would have given us more had we asked or wanted them.

What impressed me more was how lovely these people are ... and underscored for me the important necessity of our future inner-connectedness ... the crucial-ness of finding common ground across different cultures. Surely that will become more and more a dominant theme over the next decades.

Inevitably, that must change the way churches relate the Gospel to others ... and how we as individuals respond to our neighbors. You'll have to be able to give a rational, calm answer for your faith - perhaps to an atheist - or a Buddhist - or a Hindu - or a Mormon - or a Scientologist - and the WAY in which we communicate will have to be clearer and simpler than ever. Extremely complex theology running out of our mouths will not work.

AND ... more and more ... we will have to UNDERSTAND these diverse faiths. Every religion has seeds of truth planted there, but we should perhaps know what those seeds are so we can relate them to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

THAT means us taking on the role of 'humble servants and students willing to learn from the rest of the world." That may be the biggest challenge of all.

Are you up for it?

And be blessed.

4 comments:

JCsings4Him said...

Amen...and, again I say, AMEN.

Yes, I am :~)

Anonymous said...

Pastor Kevin,
You bring up some very real concerns. Perhaps it is timely that we are taught about what other faiths actually believe. It is much more effective to evangelize from a position of facts than from some sketchy ideas that we impose on other faiths from a lack of knowledge. How do other religions differ from Christianity? Only when we can find some common ground, can we effectively engage in a dialog and then share Jesus with others. How about addressing this from the pulpit?

Anonymous said...

I am definitely up for it! Giving my heart to Christ was the best thing I ever did in my life and I want everyone to feel this way. Some friends and I are going out to do an outreach tonight, so I get to get my feet wet for the very first time in witnessing! I am excited!

I want to be the type of person who looks at the content of someone's character and not their race, beliefs or anything else. I took a World Religion class in college, so I got a small taste of the various religions. I used to think that all religions led to God, but now that I know differently, I would love to share that with as many people as possible. The reason that I know this now is because of the difference Christ has made in my life. I have no doubts in my mind. I feel certain if people are explained the gospel and open up theur hearts and minds, that many will come to the Lord. I hope to always be a planter and waterer of seeds.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the food was great, however, the fellowship was ordained by God. Thanks for coming out and allowing Leah and her family to say thank you.

I love you my brother