Tuesday, July 1, 2008

MIRACLE

I don't know if you believe in miracles or not. I'm talking REAL miracles. Not, "I came out of the hotel and there was a taxi right there waiting for me - that's a MIRACLE." No, not that. Not, "I found gas today for $3.85 a gallon - that was a MIRACLE." Not that either. Not, "I made it back from downtown Chicago on a Friday night after work in less than an hour. That could never happen without a miracle." No.

I'm talking about bold-faced, irrefutable, no-nonsense, beyond gravity MIRACLES. The kind where a man with cancer is suddenly clean -- where blind eyes are opened -- where the axhead floats -- where a girl underwater for five minutes who has stopped breathing, breathes again and is perfect. THAT kind of miracle.

Do you believe? A 2005 Harris poll of 900 American adults found that 73 percent believe in miracles. Despite opposition from famous skeptics like Richard Dawkins, the majority of people continue to believe miracles have occurred in the past and still continue today. For Christ-followers, belief in miracles is foundational. Thirty-six miracles are reported in the Four Gospels alone, taking place in front of thousands of eyewitnesses. The Apostle Peter, in his famous sermon in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost, referred his audience to "Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs."

So, what about today? Do miracles still happen in 2008? I believe they do. I saw it today with my own eyes today and it was amazing. I feel like I have been a Thomas for far too long - but I am Thomas no longer.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely believe in miracles! I haven't personally seen the really huge miracles, but I have seen and had many other miracles in my life. Isn't God AMAZING?!? :) My life since I was saved is something of a miracle...God has just turned my life into something of a dream come true and I know, without a doubt that He is not done yet, either. I am so excited for what the future holds!

Darren said...

I feel so blessed to be confident in God's miracles. I have seen a few miracles where a tumor disappeared in front of of me or a someone with crippling back pain is completely healed instantly and can run and jump or someone is delivered from demonic oppression. What I love about God's miracles is that he doesn't just toss them out for everyone to see - he is patient and specific and it is solely to bring glory to him and draw people into his love.