Sunday, July 27, 2008

JEHOVAH-SHALOM

Pleae be encouraged to take the poll at top left - based on the July 23-26 blogs.

Today in church we talked about Jehovah-Shalom, God of our Peace from Judges 6:24.

There are two common misconceptions about peace … one is that peace is the absence of conflict … the other is that peace equals silence. Neither are true.

The Jew understands what a person is saying when he says ‘shalom.’ He’s not saying, ‘May you have no trouble in your life.’ He's not saying, 'May there be quiet and silence in your life.' He's saying, 'May you be WHOLE and COMPLETE ... CONTENT and SATISFIED with God.'

And that is the truth of real peace. It isn't the absence of conflict or noise or problems; it’s having God while you’re experiencing conflict and noise and problems – it’s WHOLENESS with God.

Real shalom isn’t experienced by every person who calls himself a believer. Scores of regular churchgoers do not have shalom. Many followers of Christ have only experienced short seasons of shalom in between lengthy seasons of distress. We cannot receive the gift of shalom until we have come face-to-face with God in some way.

Christ didn't come for your salvation alone. He came for exceeding, abundant, above and beyond living from you. The goal isn’t simply not to sin and make it to heaven one of these days. The goal is about becoming more and more the kind of person God had in mind when He made us in the first place … people of ‘shalom’ … people of completeness … people of wholeness … people of peace.”

Jesus said: “(SHALOM) Peace I leave with you; My (SHALOM) peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)

Be at peace.
And be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your sermon on Sunday. I especially liked it when you talked about how most of us feel unworthy to do the things God wants us to do. I know God has a plan for me, but many times I feel inadequate. I always pray for the Holy Spirit to give me strength. I bought the dvd of your sermon, so I can watch it again when my confidence is flagging.

The other thing that I related to in your sermon was about having the Lord's peace, even in the midst of troubles. The majority of the time I do have peace in my soul, but certain situations cause me anxiety. I want to be the type of person who feels peaceful in all situations, so I think that needs to be something I pray more about. I want to know and trust that God is in control in every circumstance and to feel Shalom in the midst of anything. I know I can't do that without the supernatural help of the Lord.