Thursday, July 24, 2008

IMMIGRANTS - Pt. 2

This blog on IMMIGRANTS and NATIVES continues from yesterday based on some of Sam Chand and Len Sweet's writings. Please be encouraged to enter the discussion by posting a comment at the bottom of this blog.

It's been very interesting watching my daughters do their homework over the years. When I did mine at home way back when, I had little interference from the radio, TV or tape player (yes, it was a TAPE player). Most of us sat a table after dinner and worked until we were done.

But my KIDS!? They can have the TV blaring, be texting a friend on the phone, looking at Facebook with the iPod screaming in their ears - all while they're doing their homework. It's multi-tasking elevated to an art form.

It is natives vs. immigrants.

My generation? Permanence and stability were very important to us. Today? Those two things are hardly possible - not to mention even desired.

My generation readily accepted authority. Today? Eyebrows are raised to once-accepted messages.

My generation? Print ruled. If we read something in a newspaper, magazine or book, it was unquestionable truth. Today? TV and movies are truth.

Natives vs. immigrants.

In a church setting, when we ask the natives the WHY question, they sometimes resent the question itself or seem to think the question is an automatic criticism. To an immigrant, WHY is a reasonable thing - even an expected thing - because he or she has been taught to raise issues on purpose. Immigrants were taught to be a questioning people - natives were taught to be an answering people.

So which do you think you are ... an immigrant or a native? And remember, NEITHER IS BAD. (At the conclusion of this series of blogs, there will be a poll for you to tell if you think you're an immigrant or a native. And remember ... NEITHER IS BAD.)

And be blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a immigrant, because I have been in the church and saved for about a year. Aside from that, I am the type of person who believes that growth is important...for myself and, in general. Change is a good thing...as long as it is well-thoughtout.

I think a foundation of stability is imperative, but if I see an opportunity or an idea that I think is valuable, then I am excited to try it. I love to do things that bring me closer to the person I am meant to be..and now, the person that Christ wants me to be. I like to see my life as a grand adventure and I like to grow and mature and give good ideas a try. All the while, keeping my solid base...like the Lord and His wisdom.

JCsings4Him said...

I find what you are blogging quite interestering so far...I would like to read more...after all, that's what bloggong is all about, right? More?

You have repeated several times in the two blogs, so far, that immigrant or native "neither is bad". But, your definition of immigrant includes "promoter of chaos/unstability". I'm not sure that's a good thing.

I certainly do question things, like an immigrant, but, I am not a media sponge, and I have been a part of the "church" for more than 20 years. By definition, that makes me a native. I think. Oh great...now you're causing me to THINK! :~)

Hmmmm...I need to read more! Can't wait for the next installment!

Anonymous said...

I am an Immigrant.
I have been in the church 10 years + and am over 40. But I see and hear and feel like a 'nube'.

Unquestionably life - and especially the church - takes both.
THE question, to my way of thinking, is - are Immigrants and Natives willing to participate in open and painfully honest discussion?

Times change.We need to change, too.
Lessons are learned. We need to be mature.

Unity.



...lets go light a candle!!