Friday, July 18, 2008

CONNIPTION

This blog comes completely out of nowhere. I was communicating via e-mail with a friend today about some serious issues that had the potential of making us both rabid - and I said I didn't want to have a 'conniption' over what we were talking about. That was such a weird word for me to use. You don't hear it much these days - but somewhere in the cobwebby recesses of my brain, it was sitting there just within reach.

I wasn't sure I'd even used it correctly, so just to make sure, I looked it up - because if anything, I hate to be verbally inaccurate. And sure enough, it meant what I THOUGHT it meant ... CONNIPTION (or CONIPTION) is "a sudden, violent emotional outburst generally triggered by shocking news or by an unexpected, unwanted turn of events."

For instance, assume for a moment that you decided to tell your parents about your plans to ditch college and join the circus. The NEXT event you witness should qualify as a conniption.

Or maybe it's a tantrum. A tantrum would be an immature response to some incredibly bad or disappointing news, accompanied by signs of great frustration, rage and most likely, VOLUME.

It could qualify as a tirade ... a prolonged spewing of bitter, outspoken denuncation.

Or a diatribe, which would describe a bitter attack or criticsm, including potential incomprehensible epithets and immature actions.

But I hope to NEVER be characterized as a person modeling any of those qualities. Rather, my goal is to be a person who Biblically turns away wrath by giving soft answers back - by living at peace with my brother and sister, so far as it is humanly possible - by making sure wholesome communication comes from my mouth and that my walk is worthy of the calling to which God has called me - to be a person whose conversation is peppered with salt and with grace. And we sure do need God's help for all of that.

But I'm going to have to stop now because it's late and time for me to get to bed. And if my milk and Oreos aren't waiting for me, I might end up having a hissy fit.

And be blessed.

No comments: