Thursday, June 19, 2008

CAVITY

No, that's not my open mouth, but it looks like it could be, doesn't it?

I don't know if you're impressed at all with this or not, but ... I've never had a cavity. Yep, that's right. Almost five decades of living and not one cavity in my head - other than my cranial hole. I had an appointment at the dentist today and it's confirmed once again.

Cavities aren't strangers to most of us -- um, I mean, to most of YOU. A cavity develops when a tooth decays or breaks down. It is a hole that can grow larger and larger over time if not taken care of. If your tooth develops a hole, we're (oops! rather, YOU'RE) always looking for someone to blame. There IS a villian. Blame plaque. Plaque is a sticky, slimy substance made up of the germs that cause tooth decay. The bacteria in your mouth make acids and when plaque clings to your teeth, the acids can eat away at the outermost layer of the tooth, called the enamel. If you've ever had a toothache or heard someone complain about one, it may have been because there was a cavity that reached all the way inside a tooth, where the nerve endings are - and if THAT happens - OUCH!

Though cavities can be repaired, try to avoid them by taking care of your teeth. Here's how:
1. Brush your teeth after every meal.

2. Brush up and down in a circular motion.

3. Gently brush your gums to keep them healthy.

4. Floss once a day to remove plaque and food stuck between your teeth.

5. Limit sweets and sugary drinks.

6. See your dentist twice a year for regular checkups.

OK. Enough of that.

Relationship holes aren't strangers to most of us (and I DO mean, most of US). A hole develops when a friendship breaks down. It is a hole that can grow larger and larger over time if not taken care of. If a hole develops, we're always looking for someone to blame. There IS a villian. Look inside yourself. Inside yourself is a sticky, slimy substance made up of the wounds, scars and past negative experiences that cause relationship decay. The sins inside us make 'relational acids' and when those acids cling to others, they can eat away at the innermost layer of a person, called the soul. If you've ever had a relational break or heard someone complain about one, it may have been because there was a hurt that reached all the way inside, where the nerve endings are - and if THAT happens - OUCH!

Though relationship holes can be repaired, try to avoid them by taking CARE of one another. Here's how:
1. Work on your relationship with GOD above all else.

2. Realize relationships are two-fold - it takes two to tango. You cannot 'relationship' alone.

3. Do to others as you would have them do to you. It is the principle of reciprocity. Love others and they will love you - care for others and they will care for you - help others and they will help you.

4. Make the nurture and feeding of your God-centered relationships a priority -- husband to wife -- parent to child -- between siblings -- those in your small group/close friends ...

5. LOVE above everything in life. 1 John 4:19: "We love, because He first loved us."

6. Be willing to forgive at all turns.

Unlike cavities, after almost five decades of living, I've experienced more relationship holes than I care to think about. I'm still working on patching them up and closing up whatever wounds I've caused. I'm committed to that.

And be blessed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was married, before I was saved, I kept searching to fill this hole inside of me and part of me expected my husband to do that. While we did take each other for granted after 20 years of marriage, I realize now that only God can truly fill that void in my soul. I wanted something from my husband that no other person can do. If I had only known then what I know now. ONE, I would have made sure that we nurtured our relationship better. TWO, I would have looked to God to help to fill me up inside in a spiritual sense. Next time, I will be much wiser and will try harder.

Anonymous said...

I will never go to the dentist with the same mindset ever again! Thanks for that! I won't forget it!