Saturday, June 21, 2008

BUS

The most interesting thing happened to Joelene and me yesterday while we were in Chicago celebrating Wedding Anniversary #27. We’re sitting at an outdoor restaurant enjoying the great, late afternoon Friday weather – and I noticed a big tour bus full of people turning the corner in front of us. A public taxi was parked on the side of the street and the giant bus couldn’t make the turn with the taxi there. I could see the bus driver’s face from where I was sitting and noticed he was clearly irritated at the taxi parked there … and though it was LEGALLY parked, it made it very difficult if not impossible for the monster bus to negotiate the turn in crowded downtown Chicago.

I could almost read his mind. “Should IShould I notShould IShould I not?” And he looked ticked off. It only took him 4 or 5 seconds to think it through – the pros and cons – the odds – and then he decided to go for it. “Way to go, man! ‘Atta boy! You can do it!” It was like I was cheering him on from the bleachers. He couldn’t just sit there in the middle of a downtown Chicago intersection and wait for the taxi to move. I’m sure that’s what he was thinking … along with some things I’m probably not allowed to publish here.

So, he nudged the gas pedal and started moving forward. I remember thinking as I watched him pull around, “Boy, you're really cutting that close, but I'm still cheering you on, dude!" Then ... not two seconds later, we heard the ‘scrape-scratch-crunch’ of metal-on-metal as the bus took off part of the rear bumper, tire, hubcap and side mirror of the taxi.

The taxi driver laid on his horn to let the bus driver know he’d done a VERY BAD THING and had better stop. The bus driver did. And from there, they symbolically duked it out on the streets of Chicago the way two grown, mature men should.

So … what’s the application of that?

Nothing that I can think of. I’m open to suggestions. I just thought it was interesting that it happened right there in front of us yesterday – otherwise, there’s no real meaning -- except maybe you don't want me in the bleachers cheering you on for anything risky.

And be blessed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Calculated risks are always worth it. Not too sure about a huge bus on a Chicago street, but, in general...nothing ventured, nothing gained! :)

Anonymous said...

I believe that he could have stepped out of the bus and politely ask the taxi driver to move his taxi. It would have saved him several headaches including possibly loss of job. I am sure that if he had pryed, he would have received Holy Spirit wisdom.

Anonymous said...

Isn’t this yet another example of SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST? Yet, didn’t Jesus come to show us another way. Instinctually we gravitate towards the first example. Jesus had to teach us how to love one another as ourselves, to do good to others, to love one’s neighbor, and lay down ones live for another. Each of these lessons couldn’t be taught to animals only humans and yet our base instinct is to survive and do whatever it takes to do so. Were Jesus the bus driver; WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?

Anonymous said...

You are SOOO funny! I was reading and reading and reading and just waiting for you to tie this 'one' into 'something' meaningful for us readers. Some great deep wonderful analogy... and it was just a story! That just made me laugh! Thanks for the laugh! Glad you had a happy anniversary.