Wednesday, May 21, 2008

OLD TIME RELIGION

Only a few hours left to vote. Please participate in the two polls at left. Thank you.

"This isn't your grandma's church." That's a statement I heard someone say at a conference I was at once.

And I know that sounds like such an obvious statement, but the TRUTH is - we tend to keep doing things they same way we did generations ago. I think change is extremely difficult and yet, it's something I keep talking about because I believe it is necessary - critical - vital.

I wasn't there, but I HEAR that the church was very anti-establishment way back in the 30's when the RADIO came on the scene. "Instrument of the devil!" In the 50's, when television made its debut, you heard the same chorus, verse 2: "Wicked piece of machinery!" Then, back 15 years ago or so, when the internet starting to really move forward exponentially and come to the common man, it was same chorus, verse 3: "Stay away from THAT nonsense; it's a TOOL OF THE ENEMY!"

Those kinds of arguments sound ridiculous now, but in their day, they had a strong following within the church. And if the past teaches us much at all, it is ... A) that many of the methods we have attached the word "WORLD" to, are only worldly if used in worldly ways. They are not inherently evil; B) that we have missed out on a lot of opportunities to reach our culture by being late-comers to the table of progress; C) that the methods used a generation ago are not as effective now as they were then; D) that something brand new is probably pushing thru the soil today to take the place of yesterday's 'innovation.'

Where do we fit into that? Our MESSAGE hasn't changed: The transforming work of Jesus Christ takes people who are far from God and gives them a new start - changed lives - maturing lives - connected lives - and reproducing lives. That has never changed. That will never change.

Remember the song, "Gimme that old time religion - it's good enough for me." Well ... MAYBE it's good enough for me. Partially, it is. But not completely, no.

We have to separate methods from Biblical principles. I am excited about new concepts and ways of doing ministry to reach people in 2008. Things I believe we need to grasp, endorse and embrace.

For instance:
Leaders who don't lead SINGLY, but help develop a GROUP of leaders.

Preacher/Teachers who are not few in number, but are part of a network of communicators. One message; many voices.

Failures are not hidden, but actually embraced - even encouraged, in order to learn from them.

One church; various locations.

I love the sound of all that. Definitely something I want to be part of right away.

Be blessed.

2 comments:

LA Nickers said...

"On church. Various locations."

Surely God is stirring something up here. ;-)

PK's BLOG said...

Yes, I believe He is. Let's not miss what He's doing.