Friday, May 2, 2008

PRAYER POLL

Last week I posted a poll (at top left) asking how often you pray. Many thanks to the 51 people who voted. Here are the results:
I pray every day. 35 people --- 68% of respondents
I pray regularly, though not daily. 12 people --- 23% of respondents
I pray when I can. 1 person --- 2 % of respondents
I pray when I need something or am in a crisis. 1 person --- 2% of respondents
I rarely or never pray. 2 people --- 4% of respondents.


Clyde Herring wrote a clever piece about the importance of prayer. Important not only to US - but also to God. Here is the heart of what Clyde wrote:

Our Father who art in Heaven ...
'Yes, My son?'

Don't interrupt me, God. Don't you know I'm praying ... ?
'But you called Me.'

Called You? I didn't call You. I'm praying. Our Father who art in Heaven ...
'There, you did it again.'

Did what?
'You called Me. You said, "Our Father who art in Heaven." Here I am. What's on your mind?'

Well, I didn't MEAN anything by it. I was just saying my prayers for the day. I always say 'The Lord's Prayer.' It makes me feel good - kind of like i'm doing my duty.
'All right then ... go on.'

Hallowed be Thy Name.
'Hold on. What do you mean by that?'

By WHAT?
'By "Hallowed be Thy Name?"'

It means ... good grief, I don't know what it means. How should I know? By the way -- what DOES it mean?
'It means honored ... holy ... wonderful.'

OK. That makes sense ... Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
"What are you doing about that?'

Doing? Nothing, I guess. I just think it would be neat if you got better control of everything down here.
'Do I have control of YOU?'

Well, I go to church.
'That isn't what I asked you. What about that habit of lust you have? And your bad temper? And then, there's the way you spend your money ... all on yourself. And what about the kinds of books you read and the kind of TV you watch?'

Hey! Stop picking on me! I'm just as good as some of the rest of those phonies at church.
'Excuse Me ... I thought you were praying for My will to be done. If that is to happen, it will have to start with the ones who are praying for it. Like YOU, for example.'

All right! I guess I do have some hang-ups. I hadn't really thought about it until now, but I would like to cut out some of those things ... you know ... be really free.
'Good. We'll work together. I think we're getting somewhere now. I'm proud of you.'

Look, Lord ... I need to finish up here. This is taking a lot longer than it usually does ----- Give us this day our daily bread.
'You need to cut down on the bread, too -- you're overweight as it is ... but keep going. I'm particularly interested in the next part of your prayer.'

I'm scared to go on.
'Why are you scared?'

Because I know what You're going to say.
'Try Me and see.'

Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.
'What about Rick?'

See, I KNEW it! I KNEW You would bring him up. He's told lies about me ... cheated me out of money ... he's made me so mad I've sworn to get even.
'Yes, I know ... but your prayer ... what about your prayer?'

I don't mean it.
'Well, at least you're honest. But it's not much fun carrying that load of bitterness around, is it?'

No, but I'll feel better as soon as I can get even. Boy, have I made some plans for Rick. He'll wish he never crossed me.
'Well, you won't feel any better. Revenge isn't sweet. Think of how unhappy you are already. But I can change all that.'

You can? How?
'Forgive Rick. Then I'll forgive YOU. You may lose some money, but you will re-gain your heart.'
But Lord, I can't forgive him.
'Then I can't forgive you.'

Oh God, You're right! I want revenge on Rick ... but even more than that, I want to be right with You. All right! I forgive him. I do.
'Very good. Now ... you're not thru with your prayers yet. Go on.'

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
'I'll do that. Just don't put yourself in a place where you can be easily tempted.'

What do You mean by that?
'Quit hanging around the wrong places and listening to bad conversations. Things like that. And often, when you get caught in a bad situation that you created, you come running to Me. "LORD, HELP ME OUT OF THIS MESS AND I PROMISE I"LL NEVER DO IT AGAIN." Remember some of those bargains you've tried to make with Me?'

Yes, and I'm ashamed Lord. I really am. Up until now I thought if I just prayed "THE LORD'S PRAYER" every day, then I could do what I liked. I'm sorry.
'Go ahead then. Finish up.'

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.
'Do you know what would bring Me glory? What would make Me really happy?'

No, but I'd like to know. I want to please You. I can see what a mess I've made of my life, and I can see how great it would be to really be one of Your followers.
'You just answered the question.'

I did?
'Yes, the one thing that would being Me glory is to have people like you truly love Me. And I can see that happening between us. Now that we have some of this settled, there's no telling what we can do together.'

Lord, let's see what You can make of me, OK?
'Yes, let's see.'


Give God some time today.
And be blessed.

No comments: