Tuesday, April 8, 2008

PIANO

I led worship for twenty-five years. Every weekend. Sometimes several times on a weekend. It was "WHO I WAS." For the first 20 years, I led sitting behind a big grand piano. For the last 5 years of that run, I stood at a keyboard. Times change. Two years ago I gave all that up to be a co-lead pastor at our church with the claim that ... A) I wouldn't look back ... B) I wouldn't miss it ... C) I wouldn't direct the new guy leading worship from my front pew ... and D) I wouldn't stop playing the keyboard personally in my own private time.

A - check - I'm moving forward full-steam.
B - check - I don't really miss it.
C - check - I haven't been an armchair critic.
D - uncheck - I never play anymore.

I've just realized that I've stopped playing completely. I could say I don't have time or that I'm no longer interested in playing or a number of other excuses - but the truth is - I've been avoiding it. I don't know why exactly.

But the other day I just sat down and played for an hour. It just flowed out of me and it was really great. I've decided I'm going to do it more often.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

PLEASE do...

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been there - I have always loved to hear you play. Miss those days! :'(

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been there - I miss those days. You are a GREAT pianist. Thanks for sharing.

LA Nickers said...

THE KEYBOARDS CALL

I second that, of course. Please play!
On both your keyboards, tap away.
You go right on. May God permit!
Go write, play, sing, as you see fit.

Your gifts are obvious, no less.
And each time that you play, you bless.
Joelene is right, of course. You bet.
Why don't you sing us a duet? ;-)


Be blessed.
Linda Ann Nickerson
Nickers and Ink
http://nickersandinkblog.blogspot.com